How to set up and use reference tracks in Cubase MIXING
Using references in mixing can be a good way to get the eq, stereo width and depth right in your mix.
The best ways to do it
Create a folder for your references.
2 Reference tracks in a reference tracks folder
When using mastered references in mixing it is important not to have any processing on the track or output bus.
Send the reference audio track directly to DAW main output or use a separate output from your sound card and switch between your mix and reference on a button on your hardware monitor controller.
Unlike the mixing groups, reference track is best routed directly to main output
Using great reference tracks is important but there is a lot of good-sounding music you can use to get better mixes.
Some high-quality sound albums with great mixes you can use as mix references
- Daft Punk - Random Access Memories
- This is an album that has a huge bottom and nice dynamics, depth and width.
- Royksopp - The Inevitable end
- A nice full sounding album with nice space
- Tycho - Awake and Epoch
- Very well composed and production to details. We like the alternative guitars and drums.
To be continued..